- Look for leaks
- Reinforce the door
- Drum Rug
- Acoustic foam on the ceiling and walls
- Use thick drapes on windows
- Drum shield
- A room in a room
- Bass Traps
Drum set can be everything when on stage, but when practicing, the noise can be too much. There are various tips out there on how you can soundproof your drum room.
Reducing the sound in a drum room may be hard, because you may need more effort. Some professionals use blockers on their walls.
To soundproof your room, you should be willing to spend some money to have the desired soundproof drum room. But, you don’t have to worry if you have the energy and the money needed to complete the project.
There are so many ideas that you can use soundproof your drum room to prevent the noise from getting out of the room. This can be achieved through sound absorption.
The following are some of the ways that you can use to deaden the noise in a room with drums. The steps are easy and simple to follow.
Soundproofing a Drum Room: Time Tested Ways
Look for leaks
It is not a good idea to seal the room completely without airflow out, and in the room, this is because the room can get stuffy and hot. But sealing the big leaks will help to deaden the noise. Start with the door, because it is the obvious source of leaks.
Soundproof weather stripping door kit by Kanzzy can help to prevent noise from escaping through the door or the bottom seam.
|Soundproof Weather Stripping Door Kit – White - 39 Feet Self Adhesive Weatherstrips & 43.3” Door...||266 Reviews||$19.99||Check on Amazon|
Advantages of Soundproof weather stripping door kit
- It is an all in one kit for the door. You can use it on any styles of doors.
- You can install it easily and quickly because it has a strong adhesive peel and sticks backing. It will stay in place firmly and can be removed without damaging the door.
- It will help to expel the outside noise and reduce the drum noise getting outside the room.
- The kit will also help to keep unwanted dust and bugs into the room.
Go around your room and look for the large leaks.
You can use your eyes or sense of touch to feel the air flow. The process may not be fun, but you can find many leaks through the process. Seal the leaks that you find using foam seal tape or caulk.
Reinforce the door
If you have a solid wooden door, it may be hollow. This will help to amplify the noise from the drums instead of reducing.
You can reinforce your door with Singer Double faced quilted fiberglass panel with reducing the amount of noise that gets out of the room through the door.
If the price is too high for you, you can glue or screw a piece of wood to the door if you don’t mind the poor look.
|Singer Safety SC124 Double Faced Quilted Fiberglass Panel with Grommets, 4' Width x 4' Height x 2"...||2 Reviews||$207.03||Check on Amazon|
Advantages of Jack Richeson Hardboard :
- Singer Double faced quilted fiberglass panel
- The panels are made of two layers of QFM that is bound back to back.
- The panels have hems, nickel plated grommets for fastening to other panels.
- Absorbs sound effectively
- You can hang the panels on the walls.
The drum rugs can be put under the drumset to help absorb some of the loud noise in the room. There are various rugs designed for this purpose.
For example, Meinl Cymbals drum rug. The rug is made in a way to help stands and spurs to dig into; this also helps to reduce tipping or any movement.
The rug should be laid on the floor that has a carpet already. If the room has no carpet, you can install the carpet or cover the floor using rugs. The rug has an oriental design that can brighten your room.
Meinl Cymbals Drum Rug Advantages :
- The rug has plenty of surface for your drums, even the large sets.
- It comes with a carrying bag to maintain its quality and make your traveling easy.
- The bottom of the rug is non-slip to ensure that the drums remain stable.
- The rugs come in different styles
- It helps to reduce the noise that gets out of the room.
Acoustic foam on the ceiling and walls
The hard surfaces can make the drums to sound loud because the sound bounces off. The walls and ceiling of the drum room create an effect where the noise bounces back and forth the surfaces.
Therefore, the noise is amplified. You can use acoustic foams to cover the ceiling and the walls to help reduce the effect.
You can get the foam in different colors and designs to make your room pretty and reduce the noise. Acoustic foam noise absorption panels can be a good option; they have a diamond style.
The panels help to reduce the echo and reverb which make the noise louder. To cover the whole room, you need several packs.
You can cover even a ¼ of the ceiling and walls if you cannot afford packs for the whole room. The more surface you cover, the less the noise, but even the few panels can help.
Use thick drapes on windows
You may be worried about the noise that gets out of your drum room; you may need to do something to stop or reduce the noise.
After sealing any leaks on the door and the windows, you can buy thick curtains or drapes. The blackout curtains are effective when it comes to blocking noise, but some drapes are designed with the noise-reducing thermal insulation feature.
In the past, I’ve done a detailed article on soundproofing windows which might come handy here.
You can try the Nicetown blackout curtains panels. They are available in different colors; choose the ones that will match with your acoustic panels if possible.
Nicetown Blackout Advantages :
- They are ready-made, two curtains per package.
- They have a unique design that will make your room elegant.
- The black liner makes them thick to keep out UV rays, sunlight and reduce the noise going out your drum room.
- The make the window closed completely to reduce the noise flowing out or into the room. The rate of sound absorption is higher than ordinary curtains.
- No formaldehyde, no chemicals and are eco-friendly.
- The drapes are long lasting and machine washable.
Drum shield is one of the most effective ways to soundproof a drum room, but it is expensive. The shields have been used by drummers for several years, especially for small occasions where the drums are very loud.
So, you can try this strategy for your room too. The high-quality shield may cost hundreds of dollars and play inside the drum shield may make you have little fear for confined areas.
A room in a room
The method is relatively expensive than other methods, but it is a more effective way to soundproof a drum room. You can start by building a fake ceiling under the permanent ceiling. The air trapped between the two ceilings will help to trap noise.
There are different ways that you can use to make a room within a room. You can experiment and find out the best solution for your room.
For example, you can fix some wood chips on the ceiling and create a gap between, attach sheetrock layer on the strips, and then attach sheetrock layer on the first layer with Green Glue in between the layers.
You can also create a raised floor for better soundproofing. You can use sound blocking materials besides Green Glue, like Audimute Peacemakers.
The bass traps help to trap low frequency sounds in a room. What I love about these traps, is the fact that they are simple to install, you don’t need a professional to do it. The bass traps will block the noise coming from the drums through absorption.
There are various bass traps in the market today, and their efficiency is different. You can try Acoustic Foam Bass trap studio soundproofing.
|Foamily Acoustic Foam XL Bass Trap Studio Soundproofing Corner Wall 12" X 12" X 12" (4 PACK)||91 Reviews||$49.99||Check on Amazon|
Benefits of Acoustic Foam Bass trap
- The quality bass traps will help to reduce the unwanted noise and eliminate reverb in your drum room.
- They are designed professionally with the aim of trapping low sound frequencies.
- Helps to eliminate echoes and reverb from the room.
- They can fit in any room, because of their versatility.
These are some of the steps that can help you to soundproof your drum room. They will reduce the noise significantly.
You can also think about your practices if you practice while other people in the house are relaxing or sleeping. Choose the practice times respecting the others; you can also inform them in advance when you will be practicing.
Acoustic treatment is important for any drum room when you want to reduce noise from the room. Therefore, using the above methods will help to absorb and deaden the noise.
You can apply some of the solutions and adjust as desired to create a soundproof drum room. You can use one method or combine more for better results. The ideas are simple and affordable to implement.