The neighbor is starting to make you sweat passing the leaf blower way too often? Does he realize the racket he is making?
As not everyone has a sound level meter at hand, installing an application to measure noise on your phone will allow you in a few seconds to realize if the noise it allows itself to be made with its machine is reasonable.
Being able to measure the decibels with the tips of these fingers will also be useful to you in many other situations, such as knowing the number of decibels at a concert, on the construction site (need noise-canceling headphones ?), or even to test the insulation of your windows or check that the young people next door do not put on too loud music.
If you are sensitive to noise like me and care about your hearing, having a decibel meter app on your phone will come in very handy.
Now let’s move on to my small selection of the best applications for measuring noise on iPhone and Android phones, we’re not going to hide it there are really a lot of them on the market.
PS: On your application don’t expect to see a value of 0 dB for a silent room, it will rather be around 30 dB.
Apps for Both iPhone and Android
Decibel X – Pro Sound Meter
iPhone: AppStore / Android: Google Play
This app turns your smartphone into a professional sound level meter and accurately measures the sound pressure level (SPL) all around you.
- Highly reliable pre-calibrated measurements and supports frequency weightings: ITU-R 468, A, and C.
- Turns your phone device into a professional sound level meter
- Accurately measures the sound pressure level (SPL) all around you.
- Integration with the health app
- Spectrum analyzer: FFT and BAR to display FFTs in real time
- Record list: keep a history of previously acquired data
- Export png, CSV
- Adjustable calibration -15db +15d
Too Noisy Pro
iPhone: AppStore / Android: Google Play
This easy-to-use app is designed especially for measuring with children. Teachers can use the Too Noisy app to monitor noise levels in classrooms and control that students are quieter. The interface is simple and designed so that kids can easily interact with it, graphically displaying noise levels in a cute and fun way. louder activities and too raw noise thanks to the sensitivity sliders.
Apps for IOS only
NIOSH Sound Level Meter
This app is exclusive to the iPhone and is a useful tool for anyone working in a noisy environment. It collects data on noise exposure. NIOSH Sound Level Meter combines the best features you would expect from a sound level meter
- Developed by experienced acoustic engineers and hearing loss experts.
- Completely FREE – No ads, no limited features, and no in-app purchases.
- Accuracy of ±2dBA
- Meets Type 2 requirements of IEC 61672:3 SLM when used with an external microphone.
- Possibility to calibrate an internal or external microphone
- Reporting and data sharing.
- Apple Health app supports
SPLnFFT Noise Meter
This application measures decibels and has a simple interface that displays the level of exposure using colors. Orange or red indicates hazardous levels where hearing protection is required.
- With A and C weighting filters
- ANSI fast or slow.
- From 40dB to 120 dB.
- It comes pre-calibrated for the built-in mic and the typical iPhone or iPad headset,
- Ability to calibrate manually.
- The use of an external microphone is quite possible noise
NoiSee is an intuitive, professional-grade sound level meter for iPhone. It has all the tools expected of a professional sound level meter that meets ANSI or IEC standards. All filters, averaging modes, and statistics meet or exceed the Class 2 requirements of ANSI and IEC standards.
The initial calibration works incredibly well and is determined by testing in an anechoic chamber intended for the calibration of professional sound level meters.
The app makes full use of the dynamic range of the iPhone which is around 45dB to 100 dB. The history display allows the measured parameter to be saved for one minute. Possibility of choosing the microphone (external or internal)
Apps for Android only
Sound Meter Pro
This smartphone sound level meter displays data for the last 30 seconds on an easy-to-read graph. The word “Pro” in the name of the application is certainly too much given its simplicity. As the microphones of Android devices are mainly used to record human voices, sounds above 100 dB are not recognized.
Sound Meter and Noise Detector
Like most sound meter apps, this one uses your smartphone’s microphone to measure the sound around you. The decibel level is displayed on an easy-to-read dial. The history function shows how long you have been exposed to noise. You get complete and accurate noise data. The application is easily configured
- Minimum, average, and maximum decibel
- Real-time decibel in dial and graph
- Noise levels
- Calibration before use for accurate data
- Consult the measurement history
- Save the audio file during the measurement
- Set a warning in decibels when the value is higher than the preset value
- Sound or vibrate for alerts
- Black or white theme
- Rename, share and replay the recording
- Indicates the duration, time, and status of the measurement