- Do soundproofing curtains really work?
- How do Soundproof Curtains work?
- Why soundproofing curtains?
- How to choose the best soundproofing curtains?
- What is sound blackout curtains?
- What is the difference in soundproofing and sound blackout curtains?
Are you dealing with the outside noise of traffic, children or any kind of unwanted noise and want to reduce that noise to live a peaceful life?
You are on this page that means you are serious about soundproofing your room and get rid of the outside noise to live a peaceful life at least at a home.
So how did you get rid of that outside noise?
The primary source of entering outside noise is from the windows and doors so to get rid of the outside noise the best and cheap way is by using soundproofing curtains.
Soundproofing curtains are the easiest way to reduce outside noise, also they are inexpensive easy to use and do there work perfectly.
Do soundproofing curtains really work?
If I have to answer in one word then Yes they do work!
But if you are thinking that soundproofing curtains fully block the outside noise and totally soundproof your room then you might think again.
Soundproofing curtains don’t completely block the outside noise but it reduces almost 70-80% of outside noise. The term soundproofing curtains are just a marketing gimmick.
How do Soundproof Curtains work?
The soundproof curtains don’t really soundproof your home but they are good at deading the sound. The material used in soundproofing or sound deadening curtains absorbs the sound which results in reducing the noise.
Why soundproofing curtains?
This is a question which was searched by most of the people. There are many ways of soundproofing or block noise from outside like by soundproofing windows but they are either expensive or time-consuming.
Why I found soundproofing curtain best ways because they are really cheap, easy to hang and very efficient in the sound deading application. Also, they are very effective in blocking the outside light and provide thermal insulation.
How to choose the best soundproofing curtains?
Shape and size
- The first thing you have to consider before buying curtains is that, where you want to hang it. I mean to say you want to hang it on windows or on your doors. In this case, I am considering you want to reduce noise coming from the windows.
- Then, first of all, measure all the dimension of the windows by using a measuring tape and keep it handy when you are buying. Always buy larger curtains than your windows.
- Also, you have to consider the thickness of the curtains, the thicker the curtain, the more efficient in sound deading but it also increases the weight of the curtain.
- In my opinion, the curtain thickness is about 2-3 inch for the efficient sound deading application. The thickness less than that doesn’t properly block the sound and the thickness more than that increases the weight of the curtains. So curtain of width 2-3 inches is perfect for sound deading application.
- There are many different materials used in soundproofing curtains but I found that curtains made of Polyester are very effective for the sound deading application.
What is sound blackout curtains?
You might be heard this term when you are searching for soundproofing curtains. As the name says the sound blackout curtains come in the black or dark shade which is useful to blocks the unwanted sunlight, Preventing UV ray to enter the room and also provides thermal insulation.
What is the difference in soundproofing and sound blackout curtains?
The soundproofing curtains are not only efficient for sound blocking purpose but also in preventing the unwanted sunlight and UV rays entering the room. Also, they provide thermal insulation.
In comparison to that, the sound blackout curtains are not efficient for blocking outside noise but they are very efficient for Blackout purpose i.e Preventing unwanted sunlight and UV ray entering the room.
So if want a curtain which prevents outside noise and also efficient to prevent the unwanted light then soundproofing curtain is for you. One of my best picks is NICETOWN Blackout Curtains Panels.
If you want curtains for darkening your room and provides somewhat noise blocking then you can go with sound blackout curtains.
One of the best selling sound blackout curtains which I recommend is No products found.)
1. Nicetown Blackout Curtains Panels
|NICETOWN Bedroom Blackout Curtains Panels - Window Treatment Thermal Insulated Solid Grommet...||6,950 Reviews||$19.99||Check on Amazon|
With many positive reviews on Amazon, Nicetown blackout curtains are one of the best selling soundproofing curtains and my first choice.
The material used in the curtains is polyester is very efficient in sound deadening and blocking almost 90% of sunlight.
The curtain uses triple weave technology which means it uses three layers of polyester which reduces almost 80% of outside noise.
They are coated with microfibers which is efficient in maintaining the constant temperature in your room. They are also available in a large variety of colors and sizes so you can choose as per your requirement.
✅ Available in a variety of sizes and colors.
✅ Blocks unwanted outside noise, sunlight, UV Rays and provides thermal insulation.
2. Best Home Fashion Thermal Insulated Blackout Curtains
|Best Home Fashion Thermal Insulated Blackout Curtains - Back Tab/Rod Pocket - Beige - 52" W x 84" L...||5,600 Reviews||$28.99||Check on Amazon|
It is made up of 100% polyester and also uses triple wive technology which is very efficient in noise blocking, keeping room thermally insulated and blocking almost 95% of sunlight. It is the best selling curtains on Amazon with many positive reviews.
✅ 100% polyester Machine washable Easy to hang
✅ Blocks 70-80% of outside noise
3. Deconovo Room Darkening Thermal Insulated Blackout
|Deconovo Room Darkening Thermal Insulated Blackout Grommet Window Curtain for Living Room,...||5,509 Reviews||$7.49||Check on Amazon|
This is a perfect fit for if you are finding a quality curtain for preventing outside sunlight but to be honest they are not good in noise reduction.
If you are tight in budget and finding a decent curtain which is efficient in preventing sunlight then this is a perfect choice for you but if you want it for noise reduction purpose then you have to go with other curtains mentioned in the list.
- Efficient in blocking unwanted sunlight and UV rays
- Machine washable Anti-rust grommets Blackout Curtains Cheaper in cost
- Not good for the Sound deading purpose
4. Deconovo Solid Grommet Top Curtains Blackout Curtains
|Deconovo Solid Grommet Top Curtains Blackout Curtains Thermal Insulated Light Blocking Curtains for...||2,071 Reviews||$23.99||Check on Amazon|
Made up of 100% polyester Deconovo Solid Grommet Top Curtains Blackout Curtains is efficient in preventing outside light as well as unwanted noise.
They are able to lower the outside noise of 10-20dB. If you are finding a curtain which is able to block almost 99% of sunlight and also efficient in reducing noise to some extent then these curtains are for you.
The sole purpose of this curtain is to block the outside light and darken the room thus is not much efficient is noise reduction purpose.
- Machine washable
- Easy to hang
- 99% of blackout
- Not good at noise reduction purpose
- Limited color variants available
5. Moondream Soundproof Curtain, 3-in-1 Sound-Blackout
|Moondream Sound Insulation Curtain, 3-in-1 Noise-Blackout-Thermal Insulation, Patented Technology,...||57 Reviews||$99.00||Check on Amazon|
Moondream Soundproof Curtain is a 3-in-1 solution, which provides Soundproof, Blackout and Thermal insulating.
These curtains are able to reduce 70%-80% of outside noise, also provide more than 99% of blackout and thermal insulation. The only things it is a 5 place on my list is the price.
They are expensive but the quality you get for that price is awesome. These curtains are made up three layers the first layer is of 100% polyester, the second layer is of 99.99% of polyester and
0.01% of aluminum and the third layer is made up of 100% cotton.
- Can reduce sound level up to 7dB
- 99% of blackout
- provides thermal insulation machine washable
As I already told that soundproofing curtains are able to block 70%-80% of outside noise. If you want to reduce more noise from the windows, here is the post on how to soundproof your window.
Soundproofing curtains are the easiest and cheapest way to block outside noise. It also provides thermal insulation, prevents unwanted sunlight and harmful UV rays.
There is a wide range of curtains available in the market but which one to choose fully depends on your requirement.
The Nicetown home curtains are fit for you if want to reduce outside noise and prevent sunlight to enter the home.
But if your sole purpose is only of preventing the sunlight from entering the room and somewhat noise reduction then Decnovo is perfect for you.