If you have a lot of windows and your neighbourhood is very noisy, then it becomes necessary to soundproof your home to enjoy some peaceful time in your couch. But soundproofing in itself can become a very tedious and expensive affair.
Windows, literally are the eyes of your house and are also the weakest part in the walls of your home as they are way too much thinner than their surrounding parts. There are a number of ways to sound-proof your windows, using acrylic sheets for soundproofing is not only a very cheap way to do so but also one of the most efficient ones.
Acrylic sheets can be efficiently used for various applications and soundproofing is one such area where these have been used by people all around the world. These sheets are not only light-weight, agile, tough and strong but are also good when it comes to reduce outside noise.
You can easily use a piece of acrylic sheet towards the inside of your window. Installing these sheets is a DIY project and you don’t need any kind of expert help to complete the task. Just ensure that this new layer on your windows, hugs your windows as tightly as possible.
To fully utilize their capacity using a metal frame on your window will be good. Simply make use of a special magnet that will then hold this sheet to the frame and you are done.
There are other benefits also when you are using acrylic sheets, such as – it keeps the daylight out, you can easily remove the same to clean and hence is also easy to maintain.
Acrylic Sheet For Soundproofing – Does It Work?
Here are a few characteristics of Acrylic Sheets that makes it an easy, efficient and convenient material to be used for soundproofing:
- Efficient Sound Insulation
The noise reduction mechanism of an acrylic sheet panel is to reflect sound instead of absorbing it. even 15 to 20mm acrylic sheet is capable of reducing about 32 to 35dB of noise.
- Efficient weather resistance
It is not just about sound reduction, rather acrylic sheets can be used for various other purpose also because of their characteristics. Most of the manufacturing units warranty its use for around 25 years that too in the outside environment, whereas other similar products such as the PC sheets turn yellow after a few years.
- Good transparency
Acrylic sheets have a very high transmittance- 93% which is even more than glass. The initial transmittance of acrylic sheets is very good compared to other plastics also.
- Easy to install or use
When compared to glass, acrylic sheet is always more convenient to use or install. It is safe, easy to cut and very comfortable to transport from one place to another.
- Good impact resistance
Acrylic sheets have good impact resistance whereas a glass is very delicate and can be easily broken.
- Light weight
Acrylic sheets have a specific gravity that is 50% less than that of a glass and hence is very light in weight when compared to a glass.
Acoustic Acrylic Sheets – What You Should Know?
Acrylic is known around the world for its glossiness and its remarkable impact resistance characteristic. Acrylic also is much stronger than polycarbonate which already is one of the toughest materials available. The best thing about Acrylic sheets that people don’t know about is that it comes in a number of designs and patterns to meet your specific requirements.
If you have a specialized project in your mind, then take a look at the variety of these acrylic sheets that could beautifully suffice your demands:
- Clear acrylic sheets – this is the most common form of acrylic, which is flexible and absolutely clear. Thickness of this material ranges from 4 inches to 1/25th of an inch.
- White acrylic sheets – when you want something that is a bit opaque, then using a white acrylic sheet is the best alternative and with the advent of technology nowadays you can also find acrylic sheets that are black but under the influence of LED turn white.
- Coloured acrylic sheets – for those who love to play with colours can opt for coloured acrylic sheets. You can find around twenty different shades. There are sheets which come with a bit of fluorescent colour around the corners.
- Mirrored acrylic sheets – these are the best when it comes to count both form and function. They are strong, resilient and their reflective surface is ideal for many kind of services.
- Light diffusing acrylic sheets – this type of acrylic sheet is perfect for backlit signs and letters. It is efficient in preventing both visible hot spots and luminance fluctuations.
- Solar tinted acrylic sheets – if you want to protect something from extremely harsh UV rays then these solar tinted acrylic sheets are absolutely necessary to serve the purpose. These sheets will provide unbeatable protection from the sun that too without any film on your windows.
- Textured acrylic sheets – very good improve the aesthetics of your place along with solving the purpose.
- Lucite block acrylic sheets – these types of sheets enable you to integrate LED lightning directly into the material itself and is a must for intricate lighting projects.
- Impact modified acrylic sheets – provides superior weather-durability along with optical clarity.
- Abrasion resistant acrylic sheets – this is a double-coated variety of acrylic sheet that boasts extremely good resistance against scratching.
- Anti-static acrylic sheets
- Non-glare acrylic sheets
Plexiglass is known by various other names as well such as Lucite or Perspex, but essentially it is a kind of acrylic sheeting only.
|SOURCEONE.ORG Premium 1/8 th Inch Thick Acrylic Plexiglass Sheet||625 Reviews||Check Price on Amazon|
But you can use this material to sound-proof your windows also but the only thing that you need to keep in mind is that it should be thick enough to cut out loads of noise.
Magnaseal For Windows
Magnaseal is basically a magnetic urethane sheet that is used to top or prevent any leaks. The material is very strong and is commonly used in industries to prevent any hazardous leak.
|Magnetseal Soundproofing Window Kit of Magnetic Tape & L Framing Trim||1 Reviews||Check Price on Amazon|
You can easily use this to cover up any gaps around your windows but one of the most important things that you need to remember is that, you need a sort of metal frame to stick a magnaseal tape.